Wednesday 1 December 2010

Why being a best man is a good thing.

As mentioned earlier, very briefly, I have managed to be conned into going to a friend’s wedding. To top it off, conned into being one of two best men.

Two you say? Yes my friend is of the greedy sort and well, one is never enough, thankfully he did not get two wives at the same time.

Anyhow I digress, unable to sleep thanks to this snore monster next to me I am forcing myself to be awake and suffer the risk of blowing out my ear drums for the extended trip that I am going to suffer.

Why would being one of two best men be a good thing, well only one of them has to give a speech. As the other one felt reticent in writing, I jumped on the prospect and said that they would have to speak why I said. Him being drunk at the appointed time meant the speech was a little less offensive than originally planned. So much for me ruining his reputation, this survival instinct played good.

The other perk is that you get to do important things and therefore have the opportunity to feed your ego, and to top it off you get a present. Well maybe not traditionally but you do if you were at that wedding. Hence I have acquired a new old man item in the form of a pocket watch. Something that one always want but can’t justify buying, if you are under the age of 150.

So what else is good? Well you get to dress up, sign your life away and can justify talking to all the nice women using the excuse that as best man you need to be ‘sociable’ to everyone. No one minds really… unless you get caught! Besides you are there to take the blame of doing silly things away from the groom, who is stuck on best behaviour seeing as his ball and chain is there watching his every move.

So there you have it not really nice clear reasoning, but I think it might be best sticking to being a best man for a while, unless there is that mysteriously absent lady who is supposed to be one for me, decides to turn up.

Signing off

Lemon Tree Man

1 comment:

  1. Looks like LTM most certainly had a blast and thoroughly enjoyed being a best man DESPITE being “conned” into being one , or rather, in this case, one half of a duo ;)… a note though : bridegroom, two best men = still acceptable; however, it should be 1 bridegroom = 1 bride at any time. Period. Therefore, +50 points to that :)

    Wow, am glad that LTM doesn’t need to wait till he’s 150 in order to have a pocket watch cos else I think the prospect of owning one will probably be when one’s dead? Whereby there’s absolutely no joy nor point in owning one then!!! :P… which strangely makes me fear for the continuity and future of pocket watches… Right! Having said that, +30 points to said bridegroom for preparing such a thoughtful present to his best men :)… hmm…maybe going forward, all best men should be given a pocket watch as a present so that they do not need to find excuses to justify nor wait till they are super old (ie if they are lucky, judging from the below 150 yo criteria!) in owning one!

    Well, I guess until LTM’s mysteriously absent lady turns up, you can go forth and continue to bask in this new “calling” cos you not only get to up your ego quotient, to talk to nice women and do silly things on behalf of the bridegroom etc etc – what’s not to like right?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete