Wednesday 25 August 2010

Case of Culturalism

To be blunt, if you are looking for culture in this article stop reading.
As my birthing day is slowing creeping closer I have decided that I should at least use this as an excuse to do something that I have always wanted to do. I will go to the opera if it’s the last thing I do. So I ventured out into the land of the Interwebs and asked the all-knowing Google what choices. The all-knowing replied Goethe’s Faust or Puccini’s La Boheme. I responded with an ooh.

The next thing on the agenda was to see if I could find a willing victim to accompany me so I would not appear as a social pariah and have an excuse to dress up. So As I asked around the answer was ’Opera no’ apart from one ‘Sure’; now I was not asking for a date, I was enquiring at a cultural evening and an excuse to go out, without reference to the infamous birthing day. So the girls I asked refused some more viciously than others and in the end the only one who said yes was a bloke. A BLOKE! We are constantly being berated for being beer drinking Xbox addicts, yet when it comes down to the crunch we are the only ones who would go to the opera. This is double standards that are unacceptable. I am sure if I offered a free shopping day paid for by me the only people who would accept are women.

Can someone tell me what went wrong? Are we all so modern that we no longer enjoy the classics?

Ok I get to the point where I have a willing victim, time to get some tickets. Now I discover that all the good seats are sold out. Not only this, but the tickets require me to re-mortgage my house. So how can the masses ever be expected to go if we are charged so much? I understand the need for a fair price but I baulk at paying three times more than a regular concert. This won’t deter me as it is one of the things that I wish to do before I die.

Ah anyhow I am going to run off to buy them.

Does anyone else want to go? Tell me now and I will make sure the next time we see each other that we will have a mini adventure.

Signing off

Lemon Tree Man

2 comments:

  1. Well, firstly...mayhaps you should have asked around way earlier (maybe say around one year or 6 months before your birthing day) and then your friends might have agreed cos you would have already locked them down for your upcoming year's birthing day adventure :)..Perhaps if all else fails, you may attempt to use emotional blackmail at one's friends because one's birthing day is especially useful as a trump card!!

    I totally encourage you to go ahead with getting the exorbitantly priced tickets because we only live once and especially so if it's on your "things to do before i die" list - go for it!

    And lastly, I think you should be grateful to having your bloke friend as a friend because he's there for you when you need him and that's what's most important (cos then you don't need to feel like a social pariah anymore!) ;)

    All the best with getting the tickets and enjoy the opera with your bloke! (totally non judgmental) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll come with you.....and I'm a girl!

    ReplyDelete