Monday 16 August 2010

Origami for the soul

Have you ever noticed that people who practise origami are always tidy, elegant and seem to have everything under control? I mean look at the unicorn man in Bladerunner, he might look like a greasy cop but somehow he looks distinguished and elegant with a sense of purpose. I once worked with a bloke who spent many a productive office hour creating fantastic origami gardens, he also looked clean and elegant and confident.
Where do I fit in, I learnt to make the said infamous unicorn, and did that make me elegant and stuff... no!


But it all boils down to organising oneself, really it does. Creating paper dreams requires precision and patience and clean hands too, white paper does get oh so dirty.

Are you the kind of person that never remembers what to do? Do you never know when it is time to pay the bills? If so then give it a go. Why because it’s a lot more fun than trying to use a diary and a calendar and sticky notes etc... All those things do is create more mess.

What I hear you say! Yes more mess, have you ever counted the number of different post it notes you have ever written, how many times have you looked at them again? I have a paper diary as I don’t trust electronics, oh the irony I hear you say, yes yes but it’s the principle that counts. The diary is so useful; I only ever use it to check the birthdays that I missed, because I forgot to check to diary before the correct day. My company provides me with a most useful calendar for scheduling of those soul fulfilling meetings, again I still manage to miss and double book despite having it open and staring at my face each and every day.

SO if anyone can prove me wrong, I dare you! I will even go so far as to provide the person who does a nice bottle of bubbly and if they have the misfortune of not drinking then fizzy grape juice will suffice. You have one week to rise up to the challenge.

So how do I start to cure my disorganisation disease, well simple I will master all the aspects of origami that I can. First the lotus flower, then the swan and finally the unicorn, again.... Well it has been a long time since I last had to do this. Once I complete my training I will master the art of organisation and of course will therefore seem like a tower of calm surrounded by a multitude of storms. This of course leads me to the main point of all this, well not really but it sounds amusing in my head, it will make me more attractive to the girl next door who will be so impressed with my artistic talent that she will swoon.

OK OK, I did say it sounded good in my head. It will probably have as much impact as me buying expensive shoes; but it will make me more confident (some might say obnoxious.... how they get that tenuous link, go figure).

So what is the outcome of being more organised? I am more happy, I have more time to do interesting things and well it makes me feel sexy (* wildly swinging hip movement moment*)


Signing off

Lemon Tree Man

1 comment:

  1. A piece of advice - IF you want to make the girl next door swoon over your origami, do remember to also bring along a bottle of smelling salts cos else your efforts will come to naught for a passed out girl will not be able to admire nor appreciate your artistic talent ;)

    I do not dispute with you on the aspect of owning a paper diary - it most certainly make notes and important dates and meetings more "concrete" and "tangible" so to speak - so hear ye! Hear ye! On the other hand, I'd be curious to see if you have any "challengers" and hear their side of argument :).. The gauntlet has been thrown so let's see who will rise to the Lemon Tree Man's challenge....and all within the week of course :)

    And so here's to Lemon Tree Man being more happy, have more time to do interesting things and feel more sexy?!?!?! (Oh well, whatever rocks his boat!)

    ReplyDelete